Saturday, September 8, 2012

Define Dirty


After an incredible Saturday spent wandering around a new part of Chengdu (at least new to me), I posted another batch of pictures on Facebook and changed my profile picture to reflect my look of the day (even though the picture was from last weekend).

Dirty feet have always been a problem for me.  I love wearing flip flops, love walking around, and love to just be me.  Me wears flip flops.  Me doesn't like suffocating my feet.  (Yes, I realize I should have used "I" there. It's a weekend...let me be!)  As a result, I get dirty.  It happens.

Facebook being Facebook causes ads on the side to be catered to the customer, and so as soon as my picture changed, my adds changed, once again.  Sadly, this is what was there:
 I was appalled by the picture.  But then again, I suppose I was supposed to be.  This had to be a joke, right?  How could anyone think these beautiful children were dirty?  How could anyone consider places that I love unclean?  So I clicked the link...a little scared and frustrated.



I can't imagine voting on something like this, but I guess I can assume who most people would vote for/against.  As you think about the world around you, about what you say and what you do today, I want to encourage you to think about how other people might view it.  Think about what you do or say that may be the most normal action to you, but could offend or damage someone else.  More than that, though, think about your perspective...and theirs.  Walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

And remember...dirty isn't just about dirt.  And dirty isn't always a bad thing.


Location: Chengdu, China
Local Time (CST -- GMT+8): 8:37 a.m. (9/9/2012)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-7): 5:37 p.m. (9/8/2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment