Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Seasons

Some day, I would like to live in a place long enough to understand the weather.  As I adjust to my first year in Chengdu, I am experiencing new seasons in a new place with new signs that the next wave of weather is coming.  It has been getting colder lately, so I was beginning to think that it was time to put away the warm-weather attire and break out the scarves and hats.  As soon as I do that, of course, it’s warm again and I’m boiling in my comfy clothes.  The name of the game really is layers, isn’t it?

As I was thinking about understanding the weather of a location, all the while riding my scooter home from school, I realized that I have never known a place well enough or long enough to feel and predict the weather change consistently.  My parents, who have now been living in Ethiopia for over a decade, know the signs.  Sure, there might be years that are a bit quirky and semi-unpredictable, but at the end of the day you know what season you are in.

All I know is that summer is over.  It’s no longer sticky hot (thank the Lord!) and I am comfortable outside in more than shorts and a T-shirt.  But it isn’t fall…not really.  I don’t need boots and a sweater to be okay. . .most days.  But then there are those days where it might be winter.  *sigh*  Oh well, might as well enjoy whatever season this is :)

Oh the joys of being a global nomad.

Location: Chengdu, China
Local Time (CST -- GMT+8): 4:43 p.m. (10/30/2012)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-7): 1:43 a.m. (10/30/2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment