Saturday, November 3, 2012

Impending Insanity and Virtuosos, all in one day...


It's funny the things that can drive a person crazy, whether rational or irrational.  I always feel a bit better when I know that I'm not alone in my impending insanity, though.  Today, I sat in Starbucks for a good chunk of time while my roommate picked up a few things down the street at Ikea.  It's beginning to feel a bit more like winter in Chengdu and the wind definitely had a bite to it today, so every time someone went outside and the door stayed open behind them, my warm reading environment was harshly disrupted.  A few of us sitting near-ish to the door seemed to quickly develop a bit of a rotation pulling it shut again so we wouldn't freeze.  It was nice to know I wasn't the only one developing a nervous twitch whenever someone came in or went out and I wasn't quite sure if the door was going to swing shut or stay open.  It took me back to last winter in Auburn, grading or writing papers in Starbucks and catching the uncomfortable gusts of wind each time someone walked in or pulled up to the drive-through window.  It amazes me that something as silly as wind combined with coffee can hold such a memory.

On a totally unrelated note, I bought myself a handmade Chinese violin today.  The entire set (bow, violin, case, extra strings, shoulder rest and rosin) cost less combined than my case int eh States had, and I honestly feel a bit guilty about how little I paid.  Silley, I know.  I'm excited to plan, again, though.  Tonight, I spent more than an hour playing some of my old favorites and sight-reading through a few new ones.  There is a part of my that will always be a would-be violinist.  No use trying to suppress it anymore.


Location: Chengdu, China
Local Time (CST -- GMT+8): 8:48 p.m. (11/3/2012)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-7): 5:48 a.m. (11/3/2012)

1 comment: