Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Loss


One of the sorrows of life on the move and around the world is having a large group of friends and acquaintances, all who feel a bit more like family than many might think possible.  I have experienced great loss within that group of world-wide family over the past few years, during this time of year in particular, it seems.

One year ago today, one of my dearest friends passed away.  Anne was one of those people that everyone loved; one of those wonderful souls who added a splash of pizzaz to life.  Anne and I were close during middle school in Ethiopia and then lost contact with each other as a result of distance (she moved to Central America as I was transitioning to boarding school in Kenya) and time.  Two years ago, Anne and her husband were stationed to the military base near where I lived in Auburn, and as a result we were reunited once again.  Whether it was a weekend of concerts, a quick meal in the middle, or an evening/day of our favorite movies, times with Anne were cherished moments.  She was a ray of sunshine on the cloudiest of days; the Anne to the Dianna and the Merilla to my Rachel.  You will always be missed, my dear friend!

BFFs in Northern Ethiopia - 2001

They say that time heals any wound, but with this one I am a bit skeptical...

Sorry for the downer.  On a positive note, it's 12-12-12!  Enjoy it while you can :)


Location: Chengdu, China
Local Time (CST -- GMT+8): 8:40 p.m. (12/12/12)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-8): 4:40 a.m. (12/12/12)

1 comment:

  1. Friends like your Anne, are hard to come by. I remember this from the news and your f.book news, so sorry for you today, Becca. Your Aunt Mary is a friend to me like your Anne was to you...

    ReplyDelete