Monday, February 11, 2013

Wǒ shì měiguó rén


I had quite the conversation with a stranger today while waiting for the bus.  I’m going to share it with you because I actually understood it.  This is a major accomplishment.  And it was a little funny, so here goes…


Random stranger in a snazzy silver suit who was standing in front of me in line: “Nǐ shì àodàlìyǎ rén ma?” (Are you Australian?)

Me: “Duìbùqǐ, wǒ de zhōngwén bù hǎo.  Qĭng màn diăr.” (Sorry, my Chinese isn’t good.  Please speak a little slower.)

Stranger: “Nǐ shì àodàlìyǎ rén ma?” (Are you Australian?)

Me: “Wǒ bùshì àodàlìyǎ rén. Wǒ shì měiguó rén.” (I’m not Australian.  I’m American.)

Stranger: “Nǐ bùshì měiguó rén. Nǐ shì àodàlìyǎ rén.” (You’re not American.    You’re Australian.)

Me: "Wǒ bùshì. Wǒ shì měiguó rén.(I’m not.  I’m American.)

Stranger: "Tā shì měiguó rén. Nǐ shì àodàlìyǎ rén." (Nods towards my friend.  She is American.  You are Australian.)

Me: "Oh.  Ok." (Oh.  Ok.)


And then we got on the same bus and stopped talking.   This conversation jazzed me (to use RVA lingo for the first time on this blog) for several reasons…

Reason A: He would not take my word for it.  To him, apparently, I am Australian.

Reason B: How could anyone think I am Australian?  Don’t get me wrong, I take it as a compliment, but seriously?  Have you heard me speak?  Have you ever been to Australia?

Reason C: How is it that now, after having visited Australia, that this suddenly happens?  It must be my glowing tan…hahaha…

Reason D: I understood the conversation!!!!  Yes, it’s lesson 1 Chinese…but still!  Woot woot…go me!

I'd like to thank Google translate for helping me with the tones :)

Location: Chengdu, China
Local Time (CST -- GMT+8): 11:04 p.m. (2/11/2013)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-7): 7:04 a.m. (2/11/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment