Monday, November 25, 2013

Teusink's Tuesday Tip of the Day

One of the traditions that I have with my 6th graders (both my homeroom and the other class of marvelous 6th graders that I teach for two subjects) is the Teusink Tuesday Tip of the Day. It's a way to bestow my rediculous amounts of wisdom upon them, one tidbit at a time. In all honesty, it's more about giving them a life-skill as far as socializing with the people around them are concerned. Today's tip was, "Don't be afraid to ask for help."

Middle school is a time in life when things can go terribly wrong. It might be as minor as a hairstyle (I have a student who hasn't taken his baseball cap off for a week because of a hair-cut gone wrong) or as major as issues with parents or other family members, but in the eyes of a 6th grader it all can be the end of the world. Life is hard. Friendship is hard. School is hard. It all can be hard, and we all sometimes need a bit of help. I'm feeling especially burdened today for my students that struggle, my students that have an extra ounce against them in the world. Whether it's because of issues I've been told about or just things that I've been observing, I'm seeing a lot of hurt in the people around me, young and old. Some of them are moving at the end of the semester. Some of them are carrying the burdens of their friends and don't know what to do or where to go for help. I'm so honored and humbled that some of them choose to come to me.

The view this morning wasn't spectacular, but it was beautiful (as it always is). Please join me in remembering those around us that are hurting. Let's offer them an extra ounce of love, maybe a hug, and whatever help we are capable of giving!

1 comment: