Thursday, June 16, 2016

Treasures?

I have accumulated a lot of stuff over the past 4 years in China.  How do I know this?  Well, I had a dream (or maybe we should just call it a nightmare) my first night back in the US this summer that I had to move out of my apartment in 24 hours.  I woke up in a frenzy, wanting to jump on a plane and sort through the junk ASAP.

I so desperately wish that I was a minimalist.

But alas, I'm not.

Fast forward a week and I'm back in the town that I lived in pre-China, standing at the entrance to my storage unit, completely overwhelmed by how much stuff I own.  Stuff.  Junk.  Things.  Memories.  Treasures.  Keepsakes.

If I were to go through one tote a day, I think it would still take me a month to feel like I had gone through it well.  And I've got one day.  Today.

My goal is to go to a unit half the size.  24 hours ago, my goal was to get rid of it all.

How does all of this stuff accumulate so quickly?  And even worse, how do I let it sit for so incredibly long, ignored and useless?

Time to roll up my sleeves, sip my latte, and get to it.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment