Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Changing Seasons

Written back in August, incomplete, but still true...so it seems like it's time to get this posted...

Seasons of change are a tricky thing, aren't they?

I feel as though the last few months have been so overwhelmed by the change on the horizon that every conversation, plan, and thought was sent through a tainted lens.

At the end of the school year, the lens was one of lasts...last day as a homeroom teacher, last math lesson I taught, last exam to grade.  For some reason this was more bitter-sweet and difficult than I expected, and yet at the same time I didn't have nearly as much time to wallow in my mourning as I thought I would, which was of course a good thing.

Throughout the summer back in the US, the lens was one of uncertainty...knowing that I am where I'm supposed to be and yet not really knowing how to talk about it.  "What do you do?" How was I supposed to answer, "Well, for the last four years I've been teaching in China, but this fall I'm transitioning out of the classroom and into an office.  No, no, no, I love teaching...of course I'll miss the classroom...no I'm not trying to brag...of course I know it'll be hard...I know I'm young..." Half the time, I said I teach overseas, the other half I paused long enough to make the asker question my sanity.  Neither one was quite accurate (although both had a hint of truth mixed in).

And now, as the school year has begun, the extra lenses that I found myself looking through seem to be coming off and reality can settle back in at last.  Every day is an adventure and every experience is new, but I have confidence that it is all working together for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment