Sunday, April 15, 2012

Leaving Again


Leaving a place after a week shouldn’t be bittersweet, but when there are people that I love involved, it always is.  There are always more things that we could have done, more conversations that we could have had, and the ever-illusive “more time”.   It was a wonderful spring break back in the Arbor, but now I’m headed back to my current reality, only to leave in a few months for a new reality.
Sometimes as a Third Culture Kid (TCK), I feel as though I’m constantly entering into a new state of being or an alternate universe of some sort.  There may be items, memories, or even people that are similar to my many different lives, but at the end of the day I seem to be the only earthly constant in each of the vignettes into my life.
Maybe you’re reading this and you’ve known me for years, or maybe I am a new friend, or simply a random stranger whose blog has hit your radar.  I should probably give you a bit of a view into my world.  I was born in the United States while my parents were living in Haiti, ended up spending my first few months in Haiti, moved back to Eastern Washington, relocated to Rwanda when I was two, moved back to the States for what was supposed to be a year when I was six, ended up living south of Seattle for almost seven years, moved to Ethiopia at the age of thirteen, went to boarding school at the age of sixteen, went to college in Michigan at eighteen, and finally returned to Seattle after college at twenty-two.  (If that’s not a run on sentence, I don’t know what is!)  My life has been split between very wonderful and unique corners of globe, all of which seem to constantly be beckoning me in a new direction.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.
So here I am, sitting in an airport departure lounge (DTW – good old Detroit), ready to get back home from a “vacation” and go into crazy mode as I prepare for the end of the school year and the big move that will inevitably change everything.  Sometimes I’m reminded of just how different and quirky my life really is from whatever normal might be.


Location: Detroit, MI
Local Time (EST -- GMT-4): 2:39 p.m. (4/14/2012)
Auburn Time (PST -- GMT-7): 11:39 a.m. (4/14/2012)
Chengdu Time (CST -- GMT+8): 2:39 a.m. (4/15/2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment