Thursday, April 13, 2017

Flashbacks

The way our minds work is a funny thing.

There was this entrance to the student center in college that always made me feel like I was in middle schooler again. When I walked through it, if I paused and closed my eyes, it was as if I was there for the first time. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it always smelled just like it had all those years ago.

Similarly, today I feel like I'm a ninth grader, sitting outside the Mennonite Guesthouse dining room in Nairobi. I've got my cold drink and I'm sitting in the shade with my feet strategically placed in the sun. I remember sitting with some other MKs on that day all those years ago, talking about life and friendships, school and all of our homes, and sitting half in the sun and half in the shade. My feet were so sunburnt by the end of it. We were there for hours.

I love the way these memories come back to me. The way they wash over the present and draw another line of connection in this life that I live.

Maybe one day I'll wind up at Mennonite again, sipping on my chai and working on my burn. Until then, this Chengdu sunny day with do quite nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment