Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Things Remembered – Day 5 – Looking Up


There is something magnificent about looking up into the night sky and feeling as though you can see every star that has ever been or that will ever be.  Laying on your back in the grass and just basking in the grandeur of the universe.  In that moment, you feel so small and yet the fact that YOU get to see it all and experience it all makes you feel so important and necessary.  What good is beauty if no one takes the time to enjoy it, right?

I’m no astronomer, and I have to use an app on my phone to know what anything is (except for Jupiter and Mars, apparently…), but I have always appreciated moments when I was able to pause and look up.  My dad and uncle both had/have fantastic telescopes, and I remember as a little girl being taught how to find the stars and focus in on them.  There’s something though about craning your neck and attempting to see all that you can possibly see in those moments, and those are the moments that I want to focus on tonight as I write.

When I was in 9th or 10th grade, I was able to go to Langano in Ethiopia with some friends for the week.  We helped out at a clinic by day and explored the area, hunting for chameleons to take home as pets, in the afternoon.  One night, the five of us middle/high schoolers went and camped down by the lake.  All of my irrational (and quite frankly rational in rural Ethiopia, but let’s call them irrational so no one freaks out about the what could have been’s) fears were set aside as we set up tents and got ready to enjoy the sounds of evening that surrounded us. At some point, while we were all laughing and telling stories, someone looked up.  Suddenly, the sleeping bags were repositioned and the five of us had our heads outside of our tents, gazing in wonder at what was above us.  The sky was a glorious connect the dot picture that was so complex and intricate that it was impossible to figure out where one dot ended and another began.  I fell asleep gazing at those stars…and convinced that a python or something worse was going to kill me in my sleep.  Those stars though…unforgettable.

In 10th grade, the star gazing continued in Addis Ababa as well.  My best friend and I would walk around campus each night, processing the day, talking about big life challenges and issues, and star gazing.  The southern cross would come into view each night from the place where we sat at the end of our walks, laughing and crying and being. We couldn’t see as many stars as I had that night in the tent, but what we could see was almost a sign of hope.  A sign of more.

My senior year of high school, there was some sort of cosmic event that was a must see. It might have been an eclipse, but I can’t remember now.  What I do remember is the entire senior class meeting on the field at 2 a.m. to watch whatever it was.  We felt so rebellious that night, but not because we were rebelling…we just wanted to be together and experience that once-in-a-lifetime view.  Many nights we would lay on the field and watch for shooting stars, but that night was different.  We were all there, one last late-night hurrah…and goodness was it cold, but beautiful.

There are so many more moments involving stars that I could share. This summer in Switzerland with one of my favorite kiddos after a World Cup Game.  This fall in Thailand after my brother’s wedding. Seeing that one start that always seems to peak out even here in bustling Chengdu…

You never know what might pop up in the sky if you just take the time to look up.

No comments:

Post a Comment